Friday 20 May 2016

Book Review; A Court of Mist & Fury (Spoiler Free)

3rd May - 18th May
Physical copy (200 pages) Audio Book (rest of novel)
Link to Goodreads description.


I started to read this when the physical copy came through the post but I found the pace of the beginning to be quite slow so I switched to Audio about 200 pages in. This might be a bit of a long review but I hope you all enjoy it, feel free to share your thoughts with me too whether you agree of disagree.

A part of me was really dreading this book, I was not looking forward to the parts of the book where Feyre would be in the Spring Court after her week in the Night Court. I was really happy with how this was done though and it was written better than I thought it would be! I can't say much more about how it was done without spoiling anything but basically it did everything and highlighted everything I was hoping it would.
I really enjoyed the new characters who were introduced into this, I personally feel like the side are better than the protagonists in Sarah J Maas' novels. I especially loved Mor I felt like if she was real and I knew her we'd probably be great friends and I also loved Cassian as his sense of humour is very close to my own. Another thing I loved about the book was the development of the characters. Tamlin gets shown in the light I feel he should always have been shown, Feyre (eventually) gets wise to the situation she is in and comes to accept things beyond her control which I was happy with but I just didn't like that it took 200 pages to get to the point. I understand in a way that we needed a bit of time to see how the aftermath of the first book had affected her but for me personally the moping went on a smidge too long! Finally Rhysand, I liked him in book one but wasn't overly sold but my this book...Well I can't really say much without spoilers all I'll say is the development and the backstory of his character made the book more bearable at the times when I was ready to D-N-F.

Yes that's right, despite all the hype and everyone's declarations of love for this book I had more than one moment where I was ready to put this book down and give up on the series. I'll start with the beginning, it was a really slow start for me as I spent the first 150-200 pages infuriated with the things that were happening and Feyre's attitude. In those first 200 pages I went from hating the book to only finding it okay at best and I was really concerned that I'd waited a year for it to turn out to be a massive let down. The middle 200 pages did pick up a lot but by this point I was too drained for it to completely make it for the beginning. The end seemed to slow back down and I was just thinking it was going to be as draining as the beginning when things started to pick up. I do appreciate that with all books pacing is different and it will never be fast all the way through but the pacing was so completely up and down throughout this book I found it hard to connect with, for me there has to be a decent flow to things. In the same vein I felt a lot of the situations were thrown in just for the sake of conflict and they added nothing to the plot. I also got bored of the amount of sex and smut there was throughout this book, a little is fine if it adds to the plot but it felt like it was just thrown in to add to the word/page count. I feel like if you took out the sex and the smut the book would probably be a third of the length. 

Overall I think the book was okay but it just fell short of what I wanted it to be. The ending was really intriguing and it's left me really hoping for something great from the third book but I'm going to try and keep my expectations low so I'm not as disappointed.

No comments:

Post a Comment