Thursday 19 May 2016

Book Review: Kiss of Deception (Spoiler Free)

5th May to 16th May 
Audible



This book is so beautifully written, it's very lyrical and it made me feel like I was right there in the pages. Mary E Pearson is brilliant and so talented at describing places and situations just enough for you to put it together in your own mind. I am a sucker for books with multiple narratives as long as they are done well and this one was done fantastically well I loved how it showed you different angles on situations and it was so interesting to get an insight into the characters. Another thing I loved was the friendship between Lia and Pauline, I think more books should promote healthy female friendships especially ones where the friends in question are from different backgrounds. The best thing, in my opinion, about this book though was the twist on things towards the end, when it first came to light I had to rewind the audible a little to make sure I'd heard it correctly and when I was sure I had heard it correctly I had to pause it to think over everything that I knew (or thought I knew) so far. It was incredibly cleverly done and for me personally it's what sets this book apart from other similar novels.

There was only one big let down for me and that was the pacing, it was a little too dramatic in how it would go from fast to slow. The beginning really throws you in at the deep end and I love that about books, it's usually a pretty good indicator at how the rest of the book will be paced but this one went from dramatic and fast to slow very quickly and the slowness drew out a little longer than I personally was happy with. Just as I was working out whether I wanted to put it down and leave it a little while before picking it up the book took a dramatic turn and was back to 100 miles an hour.

I would probably re-read this one and I'm really interested to see where the next book in the series takes things but because of the pacing I'm not wanting to pick up the next book just yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment