Sunday 5 June 2016

Book Review: Alice in Wonderland - Lewis Carrol

2nd June - 4th June
Audible



This was a re-read for me but it felt like a completely new experience since the last time I read this was in class at primary school and I was probably between the ages of 8 & 10. I absolutely hated it, it just seemed like a lot of nonsense strung together in a really crazy kind of way I also didn't like either of the Disney movies for pretty much the same reason. I decided to re-read this one out of curiosity but I wasn't expecting to enjoy it as much as I did.

I think I was too young to appreciate this when we read it in school but I loved it this time round and I think I picked up on a lot more. The thing I picked up on the most is how, even over a hundred years after being written, the characters in Wonderland are so reminiscent of various stereotypes we encounter or know of in real life. It just goes to show we can advance so much in terms of technology but politicians and other people who think they are above you will still spout nonsense until you believe them because you're too confused to contradict them, this is what I took from it anyway. What I loved the most is that the characters who are described as "Mad" made more sense than the majority of the other characters who were maybe made to sound wise or like their opinions etc were worth something/important. This again is something I think happens quite often people will make a point or contradict what people in control are saying and because they can't argue their case they just cast them as mad or stupid - Again this is just what I took from it. The narration was brilliant, I am not a massive Scarlett Johansson fan but she was fantastic and bring life to the characters and it was one of the best narrated audio-books I have listened to this year (second only to Stephen Fry reading Harry Potter).

The only think I disliked was that it was a little too far fetched in places for my liking, however it was written for children and I can imagine most children at the time probably enjoyed how weird it was.

Where to find me;

3 comments:

  1. Does that say Scarlett johansson narrated it? Thats interesting! I didn't know she narrated audio books - she has kind of a distinctive voice. I tried to read this when I was a child as well, but couldn't really get into it. Maybe it's time for a revisit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah Scarlett Johansson narrates this one and she really made it a great reading experience. I would recommend listening to it with her narration :)

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete