Friday 3 June 2016

Read-A-Thon; Tome Topple TBR


Possible TBR


      I've decided to take part in the read-a-thon Tome Topple which will be my first read-a-thon. This is hosted by Thoughts on Tomes and the official twitter account for this is @Tome_Topple and the announcement video is linked here. The read-a-thon starts at midnight on 5th June and ends at midnight on 19th June.


Plan A:

 


      There are two books I am dying to get around to in the two weeks and that's Illuminae by Amy Kaufman & Jay Kristoff and The View from the Cheap Seats by Neil Gaiman.
      There is a lot of hype surrounding Illuminae especially since the second book was available for people to grab at BEA. I've owned this for a while now and I love the look of it, the way it's formatted is so unique it looks fascinating however I'm a little intimidated by the hype and I have actually attempted this book before but I couldn't really get into it. I'm hoping I'm in a better frame of mind to tackle this again and finish it.
      I am super excited to get around to The View from the Cheap Seats by Neil Gaiman though. I am a massive Neil Gaiman fan and this is probably my most anticipated read of the year! I own the speech that he gave at Philadelphia University (Make Good Art) and I loved it, he has such a way with words and he's so inspirational to me. His books have got me through some pretty dark times and I'm sure this will be another beacon of light! This unfortunately is a massive chunk of a hardback though so the plan is to put this next to my bed and read a little every night in the time I would usually spend watching Youtube videos.

The Backups:

      I'm really hoping I enjoy and finish my Plan A books but if I'm struggling I have a couple in mind to move onto. My first back up would be A Gathering of Shadows by V.E Schwab I read This Savage Song by her last month and I'm dying to get my hands on more of her works, I wasn't overly impressed by ADSOM (book 1) but I did enjoy it and want to carry on with the series.
     My second choice would be The Final Empire by Brandon Sanderson. I won this in a Goodreads giveaway last year and I keep meaning to pick it up but the size intimidates me.
     My last resort would be Queen of Shadows by Sarah J Maas - I really enjoyed the first two books in this series but Heir of Fire really got me mad and then I read The Assasin's Blade and from there I just fell out of love with the series. I've read A Court of Mist and Fury recently and I had some gripes with that too, I feel like Sarah J Maas just tries too hard to change things in her series, so much so that I personally don't enjoy them. I'll love a character in one book and then in the next it feels like she's got bored with them and so changes almost everything about them - despite this mini-rant I am hoping to get round to Queen of Shadows at some point.

Taking a Break:

In one of Thoughts on Tomes videos she suggested reading some graphic novels to break things up a little. I do have some Mangas that I'd like to get around to but instead I think I might take a break now and then to read one of my Kindle books (usually contemporary reads).

Updates;

I tend to update my Goodreads every night before I go to bed so I'll continue doing that the link to my page is here.
I'll also try and update my twitter @KandtheCatRead so feel free to follow me.
And finally I'll be posting pictures of my progress over on my instagram @kirstyandthecatread


Links to books mentioned;

Illuminae / The View from the Cheap Seats / Make Good Art / A Gathering of Shadows / The Final Empire / Queen of Shadows /

No comments:

Post a Comment